Thursday, February 21, 2008

Jurisprudence--There is still hope

Today was probably the best class period I have experienced at law school.  I truly wish that the lecture/discussion could have been recorded, so that other people (people who need to know the information contained within) might begin to re-examine the areas of inconsistency in their own lives.


Ever since coming to law school, I feel that I have become more analytical, not only in my scholastic endeavors, but also in my personal life.  I notice inconsistencies in other people's thinking and I constantly am checking my own statements against prior thoughts, positions, or attitudes I have expressed on a certain topic.  I think this type of analysis can be quite draining as I feel I will never be able to classify myself as anything (i.e., Republican, Democrat, Humanist, Scholar, Attorney, etc.)  I sometimes think that people fool themselves into thinking that they neatly fit into a niche, when in reality, each human being is too complex to completely align with one mode of thinking.    My wife has been especially helpful in my growth by pointing out that trying to find overarching themes or the "big picture" creates oversimplification and it is extremely important to keep in mind the subtle nuances of each and every situation.

That was my brain drain--now to finish off International Law before class . . .

No comments: